Saturday, June 30, 2012

Animals Around Town in Australia





It is really cool some of the animals you just happen to see around town or on our little day trips over the weekends. I usually see them while Jeremy is driving and then have to do a triple take because it catches me off guard.

All of the above animals we have actually seen just out and about living in their own natural habitat here. Isn't that cool? 

I normally don't think birds are that cool, but the birds here are really exotic and pretty. And it's not like you just see one or two in a rare moment, you see tons of them all of the time. I actually took some of the pictures of the birds above. We have those really pretty parrots come into our yard everyday and eat the seeds from the dandelions. But you see pretty much all of the birds all around all of the time.

The Ibis birds are walking all around in Sydney. They are weird looking little birds. I still hate the cockatoos noises, but am starting not to notice it as much. I heard the ravens more in the city it seemed when we lived there. And the pelicans... Wow! They are pretty cool! I happened to catch a glimpse of of two of them on our day trip to Bateman's Bay and they were HUGE! I don't think I've actually seen a pelican before and if I have, I don't remember them being that big.

I have only seen one kookaburra here not counting the ones we have of course seen at the zoo. You will go through areas on the road where there are signs to be careful for crossing wombats or kangaroos. But you can see kangaroos pretty much anywhere there is a big field and just head over there at dusk. We also ate lunch with some kangaroos and wallaby's at the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve. There was a picnic table there and a group of about 20 kangaroos and wallaby's resting about 10 feet away. It was pretty cool! I have also had to wait for and echidna cross the road before.

One night when we were at Costco I saw a dingo running around in the parking lot and then I saw another wandering through the streets in our neighborhood. It made me remember of that story back in the 80's of a dingo eating a lady's baby and I made a mental note never to leave the doors of our car open if I run inside to grab something. (Even though I love the "Dingo Ate Your Baby" Seinfeld episode.)


Remember that post a few months ago that Jeremy and I saw some "thing" that we didn’t know what it was and it kind of freaked me out? Well, it was a possum! I described it as much bigger than it says they ever get... but, I SWEAR it really was that big.

1 comment:

  1. At first all I was thinking was, "ooooh, those birds are so cool!" Then I thought, "you really see all those kinds of animals around on a daily basis? wow!" Then after I read that it reminded you of the Seinfeld episode, I started cracking up!! Now that's all I'm thinking about! LOL! I won't get that line, along with the accent, out of my head all night. :) But back to the animals, it is really cool that that is your life over there. Unreal!

    ReplyDelete